Monday, August 31, 2015

The Client Is Always Right


If you aren't going to do your best, then don't do it at all.

In the design industry, we are continuously taught, "the client is always right". There are even documentaries, short films and sketches all based on this. It is more than just a saying, it is a rule.

While this might be true, it is also your job to educate your clients. This is, by far, the most difficult part of designing.

How many of you have done work that you would never show anyone, EVER. You have 10 flawless works of art; printed, mounted, labeled and placed in a portfolio, ready to show off. Meanwhile, you have a hard drive full of work, you would down right lie to anyone who accused you of creating such horrid pieces. Don't feel bad, we all have a dark past. But there come a time in every designers life, were you have to decide if this is really want you want. I believe you should always do your best or don't do it at all.

For example, sometimes clients ask you to do things that you know are wrong, like a pixel logo. You know what constitutes a strong logo, but the client insist on a picture image. Imagine you DID do that, then someone comes along and tells your client what a terrible logo that is. I bet you everything I own, that the client will not say "Well...that's what I wanted". They'll say, "that's what my paid designer did for me."



Working in an industry that depends on referrals, that's not a good idea. The more work you get the better each piece has to be. Your work is your marketing strategy. It is your advertising and putting out work you cannot be proud of is fast route to career suicide.

So, quote high but fairly, estimate deadlines with enough time for finesse, educate clients and always produce work you can be proud of, or just quit now.

A client came to me for a logo, I quoted double what I would usually charge, because what she wanted was a full intricate illustration, not a logo, and honestly, I felt like she was so set in her way of thinking that for me to try and convince her otherwise was double the work.

Actually creating the logo she wanted was never really an option for me, I would rather not do it at all than to create a shitty logo. Sure I missed out on a potential client, but I'm not just a designer. I don't just slap graphics on a page and make it look pretty.

People come to designers to solve problems, and that is what I do, creatively and as effectively as I can. I make creative solutions, and I have been formally taught, with working experience and knowledge to properly execute my solutions.

If what a client wants is just someone to do as he wants, then I am not the designer for him.

By cutting out "bad clients", I enjoy what I do a lot more, I am more productive, less stressed and I develop a real care for my clients and their business.

Everyone wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment